Have the devs abandoned Trails?

As above… I’ve migrated all my data into Stava, which doesn’t Have half the functionality trail had, and I’d like to continue to use trails, but a simple but on the Apple Watch prevents me from using it

So…

2 Likes

Me too.

I like Trails and have paid the last few years and wish Strava had some of what Trails has.

It appears that Trails will die though.

2 Likes

I have used Trails since July 2016. I have 699 saved tracks on it. I’m due for my annual payment and it won’t accept my regular apple pay accounts. I’m sure I’ll lose all my treks, fortunately for the last 3 years I’ve also run Gaia at the same time, so have a lot of the info. There were smart people involved with the making of this app, too bad it couldn’t be kept up.

That’s likely to be am Apple issue rather than a Trails issue

However, should you wish to leave and take your data with you (When I got fed up of the two year wait to fix stuff, I moved to starve), there’s a simple way to download your data en masse.

1. Create a backup of your trails data and download this to your computer
  2. On a Mac or Linux, open a command prompt and type: sqlite3
  3. type: .open Trails.sqlite (or whatever you named it)
  4. type: .tables This will show you all the tables. You are interested in the table called TGTrack
  5. Type select * from TGTTrack; This will give you a listing of every track. What we need is the track ID
  6. type: select trackID from TGTTrack; This will give you a long list of numbers. Copy this to a text document
  7. Head over to the trails app, go to settings, and turn on “WiFi sharing”. This will allow you to then type in an IP address. Click on one of the routes
  8. You’ll see that the URL of one of the routes is something like http://192.168.128.13/index.html#/tracks/4272275127543XXXXXX
  9. to download a GPX of this, we just need to add ?download=gpx to the end of the URL

Now, the rest is up to you: You’ve got a list of the IDs, you’ve got the URL, you just need to write a script that will take each ID and insert it into the URL and go. This will download every single one of your GPXs :slight_smile:

I can’t test this, but you may not even need to write a script: this single command may work:

for URL in 'cat textfilewithtrailsidsin.txt'; do echo $URL; curl -m 10 -s -I $1 http://192.168.128.13/index.html#/tracks/"$URL"?download=gpx | grep HTTP/1.1 |  awk {'print $2'}; done

textfilewithtrailsidsin.txt is a text file with the list of each ID in
192.168.128.13 is my IP address: You’ll need to change this